Hints and tips for media appearances, speaking and social media. This week; Kenny Harris: The British 10K; Status Quo tribute to themselves; A very big spider; Is this thing on?; I know my rights; Starman; An interview with Kenny Harris; Music from Ultravox
Thursday, June 20, 2013
Hints and tips for media appearances, speaking and social media. This week; A happy co-incidence; Feeding and educating ten children; James Gandolfini; Social media woes in Japan; Seven reasons to avoid video; Who’s in charge here?; So what’s your take?; An interview with Molly Bedingfield; Music from Henrik.
Tuesday, June 18, 2013
1. It's not you. You're showing an audience another presenter, maybe even in voice-over, who is potentially very different from you and your style.
2. It's not your message. However close a video is to your ideas, it's probably not identical, since you didn't produce it.
3. It's not yours. The copyright may be owned by someone else. They may never find out, but it's still illegal to use it if you don't have permission.
4. It's not fair. I've seen presenters fill up to half of their speeches with video material. That's hardly fair to an organiser that's paying you for your stuff.
5. It's not in flow. Using a video can break up the flow of your speech, and distract your audience.
6. It's not new. Many viral videos have been seen by many people. The first viewing may induce a gasp. Subsequent viewings my induce a groan.
7. It's not good enough. Your material is superb, so don't dilute it with someone else's second-class stuff.
Of course, there are good reasons to use video too - what would you suggest they are? Or do you agree with the points above?
Thursday, June 13, 2013
Hints and tips for media appearances, speaking and social media. This week; The book has landed; Karaoke anyone?; A true professional; Where’s the paper?; A very silly thief; Use the screen sparingly; I don’t know what they will ask me; Pret a tweet; An interview with Bob Mills of Expertsources.co.uk; Music from Mick Terry.
Thursday, June 06, 2013
Hints and tips for media appearances, speaking and social media. This week; Sunny E18, The Apprentice and the speaker; Stephen Fry; TV wars; Emulate the speaking greats; Keep Clear; Ten rules for Anti-social media; An interview with Bill Stainton; Music from Lee Robert