Here are seven tennis-inspired email tips:
1) Get it back over the net. Focus on responding to emails within 24 hours, even if you don't have the full answer. People value a response of any kind, and it will stop them asking "did you get my email?"
2) Be aware of the other person's style. Try to respond in a manner that is appropriate for the person you are dealing with.
3) Stay within the court boundaries. Stick to the topic in hand, and don't wander about all over the place. Stay focused.
4) Keep the outcome in mind. It's not just about occasional point-scoring, there's probably a longer-term goal in mind.
5) Serve when it's your turn. Be helpful, and remember that at least half the time, your job is to serve.
6) Ask the umpire. Sometimes, you may need to consult a third party to resolve a dispute.
7) Accept the result gracefully. Whether you get the outcome you want or not, accept either outcome without gloating or complaining.